Monday, October 11, 2010

Video Killed the Radio Star

It was a popular song of the 80's, and fun fact of the day, it was the first video played on MTV, which aired on August 1st, 1981. I will admit now that I am certainly not an expert on MTV... I just know how to use wikipedia well. There are people who are atheists when it comes to wikipedia, but they are incorrect. It is a valuable resource for anyone and I use it as much as I can. I may go through life with information composed by people all over the world, and whether it's partially correct or not, I shall use it. So, I typed in MTV to learn about where it began and all that good stuff, because I happen to be a huge fan of the old MTV, although I am not familiar with the MTV people in the 80's enjoyed, I surely remember watching it growing up, against my father's wishes. I love music videos. I hate Snooki. Look where this wonderful channel has taken us... I fear it's only downhill from here.

According to my favorite website, the original purpose of MTV was to play music videos 24/7, and was called "Music Television." Those were the days. Now, you get a portion of a music video if you're lucky, and spend the rest of your time consuming shit, usually created by the brainless fools on The Real World and Jersey Shore, and unfortunate children who want to be "Made" into something they can't be, and now, we can all admire the bull shit that is "If you really knew me." I realize that show is all sentimental and supposed to be an important anchor for change, but to me, it's an hour of comedy while watching kids expose their feelings on cable television, as if it is going to make anything better. First of all, there goes your privacy. Second of all, nobody gives two shits. However, there is most definitely a group of people who sit around the TV and cry about how beautiful the show is and how they wish that everyone could experience that... Those people shame me.

The good old days of my lifetime would be when Real World and Road Rules owned. They had cool, original cast members, who made for a good television watching experience. But as of late, they have not brought out anyone who has stood out or made a difference with their celebrity statuses, maybe because they no longer achieve them. I think the dark ages started when people had to fantasize over a bunch of scripted lives in Southern California... Laguna Beach. Now, I know plenty of people who watched this show and still enjoy the DVD's, but as a protester of all this bull shit, I can't say I approve. Now that I am older than the characters were during filming, I must say, those people have helpless issues and should not be applauded for their stupidity and criminal humanity. They are not people to look up to or respect, so why do so many viewers give a shit? Were they waiting for something important to happen? Look no further... not happening.

Then that AMAZING spin-off came into existence, and I don't care if you liked "The Hills," because it is stupid and you wasted your fucking time. If you disagree with me, you're wrong. When it comes to television and film, I will trump you, so don't even fucking try. I know what a good television series is, and it's not going to be found in the lives of Laguna Beach cast members trying to make their lives, which are also scripted. I've said this before and I will say it again... If anyone deserves to be killed on this planet, it's Spencer Pratt or his dumb ex-wife Heidi. The fact that people care about these individuals makes me sick and worry about the future of our generation. Check out something legitimate please, and trust me, it's not on MTV... not anymore. Those days are long gone.

So, I realize since I am writing to mostly teenagers and college students, and I am sure many of you will have a problem with my strong disliking for shit programming, but I like to spend my time watching thought-provoking series and films that matter. I think it's sad how much time and energy people waste on people who aren't going to mean anything to this world in a few months, and for most of them, that is already the case. We live in a world where the American Film Institute and National Board of Review and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences recognize films most people haven't heard of. And in television terms, there is the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, and recognizing these shitty MTV programs has not occurred much in this decade, because there is nothing good to recognize. It's all shit. This is me hoping that MTV will return to what it stands for... Music. So let's all do the logical thing and cut Snooki's head off, and start playing some good videos and get back to the way things should be. I'd easily give an Emmy out to a show where that short bitch's head gets cut off.

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post! You brought up some good points.
    1. We most definitely are heading towards the point of no return. People thoroughly ENJOY watching snooki, and that younger generation is starting to catch on. Basic economics says the higher the demand, the higher the product. So all of this vacuous TV shows and predictable romantic comedies with Katherine Heigl are going absolutely no where. In fact, I'm quite certain those shows and movies will be what people will think of when they are asked to define what American Culture is (aside from hamburgers and french fries). So then, whats the solution?

    There is none. Unless we can somewhere persuade all the tweens out there that they should be watching things of substance, not drunk men socking drunk girls in the face.

    So I guess we're all fucked :)

    I loved this! You fucking rock, Erik!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fear for my life when I imagine a Best Picture Winner without plot or substance. Thank god the AMPAS is timeless and legitimate... Don't even get me started on the MTV Movie Awards. Any award show where a vampire film can dominate that isn't "Let the Right One In," is clearly a bull shit event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, and the music industry is just as awful. The lyrics to songs by that bitch kesha and all of these other idiots are just mental slush. It's literally brain washing. The main reason why I listen to underground hip hop is because the lyrics are just so raw and dope. People think hip hop and immediately imagine an artist like Chingy are Kanye (although old school kanye was pretty legit) and they then think of men rapping about girls' tits and shit. But underground aint like that, feel me? Watching the VMA'S makes me want to scratch my eyes out and then chop them in a blender. American Culture is fucked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of "being fucked," I am shocked to see two offensive clicks on my anti-white burst, which is more than the most racist post on my site. Sensitive white people getting all defensive over their insecurities. Ugh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made my dad read it, and he thought it was hilarious. And my dad is white. and bald. and canadian.

    But then again, Canadians are generally complacent and easy-going.
    ...But he's still white.

    HAHAH basically, tell em to fuck off. In my opinion, people who get offended easily are people who are too immature to respect that other people have opinions that differ from theirs, and the hostility and disapproval they display is simply out of insecurity.

    So, us Canadians stand behind you. and us SalvadoreƱas. Which says a lot considering the times I've been back to El Salvador, I have seen multiple photos of Reagan plastered all over the place with moustaches and holes in his eyes.

    So it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha.
    Your dad's approval means a lot.

    Rest in Peace Ronald Reagan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crispy Ranch SnackWrapOctober 11, 2010 at 3:37 PM

    I think you have good points but I can't deny that the minute I read Spencer Pratt and his ex-wife Heidi I was instantly wondering how they were doing and whats new with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erik I totally agree, the real only time you can watch music videos anymore on MTV would be in the morning real early, and yet sometimes they still don't have them...I can honestly say I don't watch Jersey Shore and it's a LOAD OF BULLSHIT! All Snookie is gunna get in her life is more cellulite, plastic surgery and a dumb found education on drink your life up! But because MTV has all these shows i feel like they get so many ratings from the younger crowd, so there is know way they would change back! A suggestion would be to devote a whole day to viewing MTV in the 80's or something like that! I agree with you on this blog erik about everything.... DID I JUST SAY THAT, ;]

    ReplyDelete